You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Group Discussion

National anthem

Some facts about "Jana Gana Mana" - Our National Anthem

Just a thought for the National Anthem!

How well do you know about it?

I have always wondered who is the "adhinayak" and "bharat bhagya vidhata", whose praise we are singing. I thought might be Motherland - India! But NO..... IT DID NOT MEANT FOR INDIA... OUR MOTHERLAND............... Really Shocking....
    Our current National Anthem "Jana Gana Mana" is sung throughout the country.
    Did you know the following about our national anthem, I didn't. BUT WE MUST HAVE KNOWN THIS.

To begin with, India's national anthem, Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka, was
    written by Rabindranath Tagore in honour of King George V and the Queen
    of England when they visited India in 1919. To honor their visit Pandit Motilal Nehru had the five stanzas included, which are in praise of the King and Queen. (And now most of us think it is in the praise of our great motherland!!! This much more than 'shame' for our 'Self Respect'.)

In the original Bengali verses only those provinces that were under British rule, i.e. Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, Maratha etc. were mentioned. None of the princely states were recognized which are integral parts of India now - Kashmir, Rajasthan, Andhra, Mysore or Kerala. Neither the Indian Ocean nor the Arabian Sea was included, since they were directly under Portuguese rule at that time.

The Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka implies that King George V is the lord of the masses and Bharata Bhagya Vidhata is "the bestower of good fortune".

Following is a translation of the five stanzas that glorify the King:

First stanza: (Indian) People wake up remembering your good name and ask for your blessings and they sing your glories. (Tava shubha name jaage; tava shubha aashish maage, gaaye tava jaya gaatha)

Second stanza: Around your throne people of all religions come and give their love and anxiously wait to hear your kind words.

Third stanza: Praise to the King for being the charioteer, for leading the ancient travelers beyond misery.

Fourth stanza: Drowned in the deep ignorance and suffering, poverty-stricken, unconscious country? Waiting for the wink of your eye and your mother's (the Queen's) true protection.

Fifth stanza: In your compassionate plans, the sleeping Bharat (India) will wake up. We bow down to your feet O' Queen, and glory to Rajeshwara (the King).

This whole poem does not indicate any love for the Motherland but depicts a bleak picture. When you sing Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka, whom are you glorifying?

Certainly not the Motherland. Is it God? The poem does not indicate that.

It is time now to understand the original purpose and the implication of this, rather than blindly sing as has been done the past sixty years.

Nehru chose the present national anthem as opposed to Vande Mataram because he thought that it is easier for the band to play!!! It was an absurd reason and a reason for making crores of Indian citizens FOOL but Today Peoples are getting aware about the cheap politics behind these NONSENSE.
    Whereas Vande Mataram is a praise for our dear Motherland -India and does not contain any appraisal for individual or certainly not for BRITISHER.

Moreover, after went back to Britain, King G,eorge V sent his message to Jawahar Lal Nehru that I liked this poem very much and want to get it Noble Prize as I have never heard such apprasal of mine in my entrie life. For this, He(Rabindra Nath Tagore) atleast should write a book(any) which contain this poem. Then, They pressed him for writing 'Gitanjali' and awarded Noble Prize by His discretion in Britain.

Wake up... Wake up....... Wake up, it's high time! DO NOT SLEEP WITH OPEN EYES. KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY. ....... OUR COUNTRY...

Shouldn't Vande Mataram be our National Anthem.

P.S ANY TRUE INDIAN WOULD NOT LIKE 'JANA GANA MANA' TO BE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM HERE AFTER ( i.e. AFTER READING THIS) …ATLEAST WE DONT.

Kindly forward it to your friends... who will also have truth of what they were singing like BLA...BLA....BLA....BLA....
    Hi Poonamgoel,

It is a pity that most of us do not the hidden meaning in the National Anthem which we used to sing during our school days and hear even now. Naturally it brings a feeling that it is written and sung praising our motherland. But it hurts the feeling of every Indian that it is not actually what we thought. It is a pity that the song is still sung in all the Schools even now.

Regards,
    Mala.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.